Wondering what to wear to an upcoming job fair or job interview? Our advice? Keep it simple.
10 Tips on Styling for a Job Fair
Here are 10 tips on how to style yourself for a job interview or job fair.
- Start with the basics: clean and neat socks and undergarments. These really make a difference in looking professional and building confidence. For women, wear a properly sized bra. For males, a nice pair of socks can make you feel like a million bucks.
- Scour your wardrobe for those basics. A suit may not be necessary, but a blazer paired with a shirt and tie or simple dress will work wonders.
- Clean and press your clothing the night before. Don’t rush right before an interview. Have them all laid out so you can sleep knowing your clothes will look nice and neat. Use a lint roller if necessary.
- Pay attention to hygiene. Clean and manicure your nails, floss, comb your hair, all that stuff your mom told you to do.
- Does your belt or necklace need an upgrade? You can even find relatively inexpensive, simple accessories that will work at your local dollar store.
- Pick your nicest shoes and polish them – you wouldn’t think people notice, but they definitely do.
- Look up the companies you want to work for on Facebook or Instagram to see if they have any photos of employees at work. This will give you a sense of the general dress code.
- No flip-flops. Under no circumstances!
- Bring a mint and check your face with a mirror (or selfie) right before you go into the event – you don’t want to find out after that you had pepper in your teeth or some gunk on your face.
- Don’t overthink it. Don’t worry so much about wearing a power color or designer shoes. The most important thing you can bring to a job fair or an interview is yourself. Review the skills you want to mention and pat yourself on the back. You’ve got this!
Register for a Job Fair
Now that you know what to wear to a job fair, how about registering for a job fair?
We’ve got one coming up in Cedar Rapids October 17th.